article Posted October 07, 2018 12:19:51 When you’re thinking of getting rid of an old cement counter, you might think of putting it in a plastic bucket, or buying some sort of liquid cement dispenser.
But that may not be a good idea.
New research shows that the chemicals in these products actually could cause mold growth in a small area of your home.
That means you should only be using them to countertop your kitchen and bathroom.
What is cement counter tops?
Cement is a cement-based material that’s typically used in homes to build foundations.
The idea behind the material is that it holds up well against moisture, and it’s easy to clean.
It’s also very durable, meaning you can keep using it for years without having to worry about it deteriorating.
When it comes to cement counter top products, there’s a lot of controversy about their effectiveness, says Joanne Kuehn, an assistant professor of environmental health at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina.
For starters, you need to check the product’s label to see if it’s the correct type of cement.
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) recommends that you only use “low-molecular-weight, nonabrasive, highly conductive cement,” which can be either polyethylene or plastic.
Kuehn says the NIEHS suggests a mixture of high-density concrete and polyethylenes that are more likely to stick to your countertop.
You’ll also want to be sure that you’re using low-molescular-density (LMD) cement, which is less likely to cause mold and is typically made of polyethylenes.
The most common cement used for countertops is cement mixed with water.
If you’re not sure, ask the manufacturer about what types of cement to use and what brands of cement they recommend.
But you may also want some advice on what to do if your countertops do start to deteriorate.
Kuehns suggests that you put your counter top in a cooler or in the garage for a couple of weeks and see if that helps.
If you’ve found your counter tops starting to look a little dry, Kuehrns says it’s probably because they’re just sitting there.
“If you don’t put them in a cool place, they’re going to start to dry out,” she says.
“And if you do put them there, the dryer can get a little hotter and that can cause the mold to develop.”
If your counter are getting moldy, Kueshn suggests trying to remove them from the cooler or garage.
“Then you can try and put them back in the cool place to see how that works,” she adds.
Kueshn says you can also use a moisture-resistant cement pad, like the kind found in a dryer, to keep your counter dry.
It can be a bit expensive, but you can buy one for about $5 a pad, which can help prevent mold growth.
Another thing you can do is to replace your counter with something a little easier to clean, like a ceramic tile or a marble countertop made from high-grade concrete.
“If you want to replace a countertop that’s deteriorating, you can use a tile,” Kueshrns explains.
“You can also do it with a marble because it can hold up a little better against mold growth, especially if you’re going with a very dry climate.”
There are other things you can consider.
For example, if your house has moldy windows, you could try to use a metal screen over your windows, or put some sort to keep them from catching on furniture, Kucehn says.
You may also need to consider a few other things, like keeping the counters in their original location.
If they’re in a garage, they might need to be moved to another location, like inside the house.